Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sustainability at Baker Center Food Court

Since we have to do a blog this week, I thought I would enlighten you about what I've been writing my sustainability paper about.  I decided to cover West 82 food court within the Baker University Center.  I go there just about every day for lunch so I have definitely seen their attempts to be sustainable.

At West 82, they have waste bins labeled as either trash, plastic bottles/cans, or compost.  They're even supported by pictures so people know which is which.  I find this very helpful and try to sort my waste accordingly.  My experience with their sustainability attempts end there.

Beyond what I see every day, I found out West 82 does a lot to be sustainable.  They send their compost to the University composter which goes through a 3 and a half month process before becoming pottable soil.  Once the soil is ready to be used, the University takes it to the local community garden on West State street to use it to grow vegetables.  These vegetables are then given back to Dining Services to be used as ingredients in their cooking.  The composter was installed less than two years ago and it's already turned our extra eatery and waste into fresh veggies... pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment